In partnership with PRP Rescue Limited the NTET operates its Breakdown Recovery Scheme.
The scheme is open to all owners of steam propelled road going vehicles and owners of low loaders when used for hauling vintage vehicles.
The NTET works very hard to bring ‘added value’ schemes to its members and the Breakdown Recovery Scheme is no exception. It is unique and is tailored to meet the specific requirements of those members who operate their vehicles on a limited, personal budget. Non-members are welcome to take advantage of the scheme but they will be charged the non-discounted rates, which are 50% higher than the published rates.
Who should join this scheme?
Consider the following questions:
- Do you mainly transport your exhibit to venues using a low-loader or do you ‘road’ your steam propelled vehicle?
- Have you ever wondered how you would deal with a roadside emergency when out with your vehicle?
- Do you rely on favours to get your equipment home when problems prevent you from using your usual mode of transport?
- As a low loader owner, have you ever wondered how you would meet the cost of recovery from a motorway?
- Would you like to see the NTET doing more for you as a private owner of an engine or low loader?
- Would you invest in a tailor made, low cost recovery scheme that gets your equipment home to your own front door?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, this scheme is for YOU!
The potential costs of a breakdown:
- Just to get a mechanic to your vehicle could cost £200 or more
- £500-£700 might get you moved about 4 miles off a motorway
- Attendance for a tyre repair, excluding the cost of the tyre, could cost between £100 and £250
- A lift and tow up to 15 miles could set you back around £650 – £950
- A lift and tow up to 400 miles round trip could set you back between £1,950 and £3,200
- If the police insist on arranging a recovery for you when your vehicle is incapacitated then the sky’s the limit.
The NTET Breakdown Recovery Scheme covers the cost of the above and much more.
Scope of the Scheme
Owners of transporters or road going steam vehicles are invited to subscribe to this fund on an annual basis. There are varying degrees of cover which can be purchased.
- Gold Service: this provides full recovery of your vehicle and payload from anywhere to anywhere on the mainland UK. This cover is the standard cover for steam vehicles and is optional for transporters
- Silver Service: this service will get your vehicle recovered to a ‘safe place’ of your choice, usually within a 25mile radius. – basic scheme for transporters
- Trailers and equipment usually towed behind the steam vehicle can be included in the scheme at a small additional cost per item.
How the Scheme works
When a vehicle breaks down or requires recovering the driver calls the control centre using the telephone number shown on their membership card. Once the personal membership number on the card is validated the Breakdown Recovery Services are activated.
In the event of a Steam Propelled vehicle mechanically breaking down to the point of being immovable under its own power the Scheme will meet the cost of recovering of the vehicle, and any trailers which are included in the scheme, per the Gold level of service.
Transportation of any attendants or crew members is at the discretion of the Agent affecting the recovery.
Immobility caused by poor quality coal or lack of coal, lack of water, an accident or a breach of the law will not be covered.
Other conditions apply, see application form for details.
Low Loaders and Transporters:
In the event of a low loader breaking down a fully equipped heavy vehicle ‘breakdown rescue’ van will normally attend in the first instance and attempt to get the vehicle going. It is reckoned that about 95% of all breakdowns are repaired by the highly trained crews of the ‘rescue’ vans. The Scheme will meet the cost of attendance of the ‘rescue’ van but will not pay for any materials used, e.g. fuel,oils, filters, tyres etc.
If the vehicle proves to be un-repairable at the roadside a heavy recovery vehicle is dispatched to the site. The Scheme will pay for the recovery of the vehicle and its payload, according to the level of service subscribed to, Gold or Silver.
NOTE: Immobility caused by an accident, failure of a roadside safety check or a breach of the law will not be covered.
Other conditions apply, see application form for details.
Cost of Scheme Membership
The NTET is very much aware of the effects of rising costs on the rebuilding, maintaining and exhibiting of vintage steam propelled vehicles. The annual membership fees of this scheme has been set at extremely attractive rates.
These low, low rates cannot be obtained anywhere commercially outside of the NTET. The annual fee is based on the type of vehicle covered, Steam or Low Loader, and the level of service required, Gold or Silver.
The NTET is pleased to be the first vintage steam related organisation to care for its members in this way. Given the very affordable cost of membership combined with the expertise of a prestigious Service Provider, on call 24hrs a day, can you really afford not to be in the scheme?
Remember; the preferential, discounted rates are exclusive to members of the NTET, full rates apply to non-members.
How to Join
You may join by downloading a Steam Vehicle or Goods Vehicle Application Form (see links below) and filling in the appropriate information. Once all of the details of the vehicle to be covered are entered onto the form it should be submitted by surface mail, along with the appropriate payment, to the address shown on the form.
For those wanting more immediate cover payment may also be made by credit card or debit card by telephoning the number shown on the form.
It is our intention to make this product available for purchase from our Shop.
To obtain further details contact Technical Services via: firstname.lastname@example.org Please do not contact the Insurance Officer