Skip to content

Insurance Services

Adequate insurance is an essential but potentially expensive element of our hobby.  Our Insurance Officer provides an important link between the Insurance Industry and the membership by locating and vetting high quality services and giving practical guidance on insurance matters.

Using the experience gained over many years the NTET works closely with a number of specialist insurance brokers to ensure the suitability of prospective insurance policies for both vehicles and event insurance.

Scope of Insurance Cover

Road going steam propelled vehicles:

A good ‘Steam Policy’ not only insures the traction engine and its associated equipment against accidental damage, theft and damage caused to third party but should also provide cover for personal injuries and accidents to crew members.  A good policy will cover loss or damage to easily removable components such as road lamps, tools and fittings removed for maintenance purposes.

Off Road and Laid up or restoration cover:

Off road or ‘non-mobile’ insurance cover is ideal for stationary and portable engines, or for restoration projects. Loss of tools, fittings and equipment can be included along with Third Party Liability cover.

Miniature and Models:

Policies are available which offer similar cover as for full size road steam. Some brokers offer specific policies tailored to miniatures (sometimes including passenger liability), whilst others are variations on a standard full size engine policy.

Living Vans and Trailers:

Towed vehicles have third party insurance cover whilst attached to an insured towing vehicle.  However more comprehensive insurance for Living Vans and Trailers should be considered to provide protection against damage, theft, loss of ancillary equipment, or contents.

Belt driven implements:

Machinery such as threshing drums, stone crushers, ploughs, saw benches and the like often need to be insured separately for third party working risks. Cover can include volunteers and/or unpaid helpers acting on behalf of the insured’s instructions. The detail of policies available from brokers can vary.

Low Loader Insurance:

Broker policies provide for 3rd Party RTA cover or Fully Comprehensive cover. Comprehensive cover can include vehicle and load recovery following an accident. Alternatively the NTET Breakdown &

Recovery Scheme offers specific cover for low loaders and for engines breaking down on the road in steam themselves.

Events insurance:

The NTET reminds organisers of events that in order to avoid legal action or financial penalties it is important to ensure that visitors, exhibitors and staff attending a show or rally are adequately protected against loss or injury. The NTET strongly advises that adequate and robust personal accident and public liability insurance is purchased by the organisers.

Club Insurance:

Specialist club policies are available for those clubs who wish to have financial protection against damage to property and insurance against the legal liability for third parties or club members. In particular cover is available for Public and Products liability, Libel & Slander, Professional Indemnity, Employers Liability, Goods in Transit, Money, Business Interruption, and Material Damage. Dependant on policy details, clubs which run small events may also include cover for these within their club insurance policy provided the broker is notified at the time the insurance is taken out.

Domestic insurance cover:

In additions to policies offered for vintage vehicles and equipment all of the Trust’s partner insurance brokers are also able to offer Private Car, Building, Building Contents and Domestic Insurance.

NTET Insurance Disc Scheme

The NTET owns and operates an insurance disc scheme which is administered jointly by named Insurance Brokers appointed as authorised Disc Issuing Agents. In the process of issuing insurance for a steam powered item, an agent will examine any supporting paperwork and when confirmed to be in order will issue an Insurance Disc which provides owners or keepers of road steam vehicles, portables and miniature engines with a convenient means of displaying the status of the insurances and boiler inspections for that particular engine.

The disc, which is the size of the old style road tax disc, can be displayed in a prominent position on the engine. Whilst not a legal document, the ‘Disc’ is widely accepted by event organisers as an alternative to producing all the supporting certification.

To safe-guard the engine owner and the NTET as owner of the disc scheme from the consequences of a poor decision by an inspector, the NTET requires that all boiler reports come from organisations which carry Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance cover. Corporate inspecting bodies self-insure, but independent inspecting bodies need to purchase this type of insurance separately and to prove they have done so the NTET requires continuous evidence to be lodged with the Insurance Officer.

Only those inspecting bodies who have lodged current and enduring proof of valid Professional Indemnity insurance cover with the NTET will have NTET Insurance Discs issued against their boiler reports.

NTET Disc Issuing Agents

Insurance brokers whose policies are recognised as being compliant with the Trust’s requirements, and who agree to issue NTET Discs to their clients are appointed  Disc Issuing Agents.  Collectively they provide a wealth of knowledge and experience in the insurance industry in relation to all aspects of our hobby and also to domestic insurance.

The Authorised Disc Issuing Agents are: Walker Midgley, One Broker, and James Campbell (now part of Tollgate Private Clients).

Ad-hoc Insurance providers

If insurance is purchased from sources other than these issuing agents, then in order to obtain a NTET Insurance Disc you must submit a copy of current Certificate of Motor Insurance,  Certificate of Boiler Explosion Insurance, and a valid set of Boiler Inspection Reports to the NTET Insurance Officer. Often the liability insurance against pressure vessel failure (aka. Boiler Explosion Cover) is combined with the Motor Insurance policy. However if this is not specifically spelt out on the certificate then confirmation needs to be provided from the insurance provider, a covering letter/email from the insurer confirming such cover is included is sufficient.

For further details about the NTET Insurance Disc Scheme contact:

Details of NTET Authorised Disc Issuing Agents

Extract from their Website: “Walker Midgley are independent insurance brokers, based in the centre of Sheffield, dealing in commercial and personal insurances. 

Walker Midgley specialise in Modellers, Model Engineers, Veteran & Vintage Machinery and Tractors and Steam Powered Vehicles both Miniature and Full Size. For more information and to download an application form, please click on the Speciality Schemes link. 

As independent brokers they are able to advise on a complete range of insurance products for our clients both business and personal”.

Walker Midgley supplies the following products
We are pleased to acknowledge that Walker Midgley provides a sales commission to the Trust for insurance purchased by Trust members.

  • Road going steam propelled vehicles
  • Off Road and Laid up or restoration cover
  • Living Vans and Trailers
  • Belt driven implements
  • Models and Miniatures
  • Low Loader insurance
  • Domestic Insurance

Contact Details:
Walker Midgley Insurance Brokers Ltd,
Suite 6D
The Balance
2 Pinfold Street
South Yorkshire
S1 2GU

Tel: 0114 250 2770
Fax: 0114 250 2777

Appointed as Disc Issuing Agents in January 2020 this independent broker provides a wide range of policies to suit all type of vintage and veteran vehicles and their associated equipment and also brokers insurance to cover workshops, clubs, events or business activities.

One Broker will provide insurance for modern cars, households, businesses, commercial activities and a vary wide range of risks.

One Broker’s schemes are designed to encourage membership of the NTET; they pay commission to the NTET on all of the policies that it provides.

Contact: Carly Nineham – 0330 055 2659



One Broker
Old Chapel Way

Tollgate Private Clients

Independent specialist vintage vehicle insurer with 30 years’ experience of providing cover for road steam.

Having recently acquired JAMES CAMPBELL INSURANCE, Tollgate have extended their product range offering to not only include specialist steam products but also to look after all of the insurance needs of their clients. This can include vintage, classic and cherished vehicles as well as historic motorsport, family fleets and home insurance.


Tollgate Private Clients supplies the following products:

  • Road going steam propelled vehicles
  • Off Road and Laid up or restoration cover
  • Living Vans and Trailers
  • Belt driven implements
  • Models and Miniatures
  • Domestic insurance

Contact Details
Tollgate Private Clients
Tollgate House
96 Market Place

Tel: 01708 609 609